Racing Operations Centre
Kennel Block Upgrade
CONSTRUCTION TO BUILD A NEW, STATE-OF-THE-ART RACING OPERATIONS CENTRE, INCLUSIVE OF A NEW KENNELLING AREA, AT THE BALLARAT GREYHOUND RACING CLUB HAS COMMENCED. THE $3.3M PROJECT HAS BEEN SUPPORTED BY THE VICTORIAN GOVERNMENT CONTRIBUTING A $1.6M INVESTMENT, PROVIDED THROUGH THE VICTORIAN RACING INDUSTRY FUND (VRIF).
Project Start: 8 May 2023
Status: In Progress
Expected Completion: Early 2024
About the upgrade
This upgrade will provide a new kennel building designed to better cater for greyhound needs including improved comfort during race day and for trials to enhance their on-course experience.
Upgraded features include;
- a fully enclosed building providing natural light, 112 large kennel bays and dog wash areas,
- stewards’ room, veterinary room, swab kennel bay, private isolation kennels, storeroom and grassed and undercover outdoor areas.
The design of the Racing Operations Centre will set a new standard for greyhound care providing accommodation for greyhounds designed with greyhound welfare as a priority whilst ensuring race day commitments are met.
Will racing and trialing be impacted?
There will be limited impact to racing or trialing while construction is taking place as the existing kennelling area will remain fully functional during the construction.
- Trialling is now accessed via Sutton Street – All trainers who have booked trials will be contacted if arrangements are changed due to site works.
Alternatively contact the club directly if you are unsure.
- Wash bays have now been relocated FROM outside the existing kennel block to the a location near the slipping track to the left of the puppy boxes.
- Monday night meetings have replaced day meetings to minimise the impact of the works on greyhounds and participants.
- Wednesday night and Saturday morning racing continues as normal per the race calendar.
For more information visit FastTrack for meeting details
- The upgrade and worksite takes into consideration racing and trialling requirements and ensures that all site areas are restricted and not accessible to participants.
Operational changes for race meetings to accommodate the upgrade include:
Exiting from the kennel bay area is now via the same doors participants use to enter the kennel block for kenneling
Empty out yards and swab yard have been re-located to the right hand sided of the current kennel block (as pictured)
Please contact the Ballarat Greyhound Racing Club on (03) 5335 7201 or submit an enquiry:
Looking for more information? Follow us on Facebook via the icon below.